Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Are You There God, It's Me, Margaret (Judy Blume)

 

I listened to a podcast a while ago that talked about going back and reading books you enjoyed when you were younger. That is what led me to this book. When I was a pre-teen or teenager, I felt like this was a book I shouldn't read....and so I read it secretly, hoping no one would notice. I was fascinated by the talk of boys, periods, and boobs. 

Reading it as an adult, I realize it is about much more than that. It's about finding out who you are, especially with religion. I'm not sure it would interest kids these days the same. Margaret's mother is Christian and her father is Jewish. Her maternal grandparents were so upset with her mother not marrying a Christian that they cut ties. Her parents decided that Margaret could pick her own religion when she's old enough - which really just meant that they gave her no information to help with a decision like this. She is obsessed with figuring out what religion she should be....until her maternal grandparents come back into their lives and throw a wrench into everything by forcing themselves and their religion on Margaret. It was fascinating to read this as an adult and realize how much more there is to the book. 

The religion aspect of the book might have been something I considered compelling and curious too since I was raised religious - but that isn't the part of the story that impacted me at all.

I listened to this while walking to school. It was great to revisit the story.

Goodreads says:

No one ever told Margaret Simon that eleven-going-on- twelve would be such a hard age. When her family moves to New Jersey, she has to adjust to life in the suburbs, a different school, and a whole new group of friends. Margaret knows she needs someone to talk to about growing up-and it's not long before she's found a solution.

Are you there God? It's me, Margaret. I can't wait until two o'clock God. That's when our dance starts. Do you think I'll get Philip Leroy for a partner? It's not so much that I like him as a person God, but as a boy he's very handsome. And I'd love to dance with him... just once or twice. Thank you God.

No comments:

Post a Comment