Friday, November 13, 2020

The Last Meal (Yuno)

 


I received this book from the author. She found me on Goodreads and asked if I'd review her book. It was flattering to have had her seek me out. .I promised I'd write a review, so here goes! 

This is an interesting read. It is a number of stories of people on death row and what they order for their last meal. All the characters are presented as animals, more specifically, birds - which is interesting and could be something interesting to discuss. The stories are sad and rather touching. 

I really have no use for the book though. I live in Canada and we don't execute people. I read children's literature because I like to infuse it into my lessons as much as possible. I'm pretty sure I won't have a place for this one....except for maybe that kid who needs a stern warning if they don't shape up bad things are ahead. LOL

I think if I could make a recommendation to the author, it would be to revisit the topic, but write for adults. I don't think this is really a topic for a picture book - unless there are adults who really prefer to read picture books!

Goodreads says:

The Last Meal compassionately tackles a difficult and controversial subject to educate readers about the death penalty. The story follows four fictional death row inmates on their final days before their executions. All of the characters are adorable birds who must face the consequence of their actions. Chase, Peter, Fred and James are each given the same opportunity to have one last special meal of their choosing to reflect on the past and find closure as they come to the end of their life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment