Friday, June 28, 2024

Ratburger (David Walliams)

 


The quotes from other authors say David Walliams books are so funny. Kids do enjoy reading them. This is the second novel of his that I've read aloud. I'm not sure I'll do another one. They're just a little to crazy for me. My kids struggle with the British terms/words and I find myself having to "translate" as I read. It moved slow enough that when kids were absent, they didn't even ask about what they missed when they were absent. They were able to just continue with the story wherever we picked up. We read this one in June and didn't even finish it. No one even asked me to read it on the last day. I finished it after the kids were all gone and I have to say, I'm not sorry I didn't read the end aloud to them. It's kind of disturbing. 

I think he's trying to be a modern day Roald Dahl. That isn't helping the cause though. I'm not a huge fan of Roald Dahl either. I have enjoyed David Walliams picture books though. 


This one was a little disturbing....feeding ground up rats to kids and all. Zoe's stepmother is nasty. Her dad is absent. Kids are disturbingly mean. Maybe I'm just too old for this kind of humor. With all the books in the world, I can't say I'll encourage my students to read anymore of these.


Goodreads says:

The fifth screamingly funny novel from David Walliams, number one bestseller and fastest growing children's author in the country. Hot on the heels of bestselling Gangsta Granny comes another hilarious, action-packed and touching novel - the story of a little girl called Zoe. Things are not looking good for Zoe. Her stepmother Sheila is so lazy she gets Zoe to pick her nose for her. The school bully Tina Trotts makes her life a misery - mainly by flobbing on her head. And now the evil Burt from Burt's Burgers is after her pet rat! And guess what he wants to do with it? The clue is in the title...From the author that is being called 'a new Roald Dahl', Ratburger is not to be missed!

No comments:

Post a Comment