Sunday, August 18, 2019

The Wild Robot Escapes (Peter Brown)

Who would think a J fiction book could pull such emotions out and be so entertaining! This book is a beauty. After I finished The Wild Robot, I went to the library that day and got the second book. I had to find out what happened to Roz. I think there could even be a third book. I hope there will be! In this book, Roz meets her maker (like her real maker...the person who made her) and they are very different from each other. Roz is soft hearted and loves her child (a goose), but her maker has spent her entire life alone. I loved how Roz got to know her and didn't judge her.

The author's story of writing the book is a thrill to read as well.

March 2, 2020:

I read The Wild Robot to my class this year and really didn't intend on reading book two. I thought I'd inspire them to go off and find the book themselves - but no. There was no talking them out of it. We HAD to read The Wild Robot Escapes together. 

This really is an amazing book and reading it aloud brought all sorts of new emotions (who cries in a robot book?! Me!) and they loved it. This book would make a GREAT movie and we sure would LOVE to read a book three. 

Roz on how she survived: p. 240 "Although I could speak to the animals, they still do not trust me," said Roz. "So I tried to win them over with kindness. Animals ran frm me and laughed at me and attacked me, and I always responded with kindness. It was a good strategy. But the real key to my survival came in the form of a gosling. When I adopted Brightbull everything changed. I was finally accepted by the animals. I was surrounded by friends and families. I was home."

p. 241: "Every problem has a peaceful solution. Violence is unnecessary."

p. 242: While talking to Dr Molovo, Roz discusses her purpose:
..."I have to imagine everything that could possibly go wrong. But all my decisions are guided by a single question: What is the robot's purpose?"
Quietly, Roz asked her Designer, "What is my purpose?"
"I'm sorry to disappoint you, Roz, but you don't have some grand purpose. Like all the other ROZZUM robots, you were designed to work for robots. That's it."
The robot thought for a moment, then she said, "I once suggested to a group of wild animals that my purpose might simply be to help others."
The Designer thought for a moment. Then she said, "When you put it that way, your purpose does sound rather grand, doesn't it?"

Reread October 2023
p. 243 The robot thought for a moment. Then she said, "I once suggested to a group of wild animals that my purpose might simply be to help others."

If only everyone realized that that is perhaps everyone's purpose! 

Goodreads says:

Shipwrecked on a remote, wild island, Robot Roz learned from the unwelcoming animal inhabitants and adapted to her surroundings--but can she survive the challenges of the civilized world and find her way home to Brightbill and the island?


No comments:

Post a Comment