Tuesday, June 18, 2013

That Book Woman (Heather Henson illustrated by David Small)


TBW_jacket


I put this book on hold first because it is illustrated by David Small. I love so many books he has illustrated: The Library, The UnderneathWhen Dinosaurs Came With Everything and Imogene's Antlers. I seriously love books he is involved with!

That Book Woman seemed a little put-offish at first. The language is kind of tricky for kids:

My folks and me-
we live way up
as up can get.
So high
we hardly sight
a soul -
'cept hawks
a-winging in the sky
and critters
hid among the trees.

However, it kind of grows on you, and in the end I thought, this is a book kids need to learn to enjoy because it has a great message!

The story is about a lady who brings books to a family that lives out in the boondocks. Turns out there really were people who did this in Kentucky back in the 1930's to help increase literacy. The boy in the story talks about how odd she is and how he doesn't have time to looking at chicken scratch in books, but eventually he becomes curious. He wonders what could be so fascinating - and that is the beginning of him getting hooked on reading.

I'm all for any book that talks about getting hooked on reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment