Monday, April 25, 2016

Nancy Clancy: Super Sleuth (Jane O'Connor)


One of my students has been reading Fancy Nancy books. I didn't know there were Fancy Nancy chapter books. I decided I should check one out....all part of my attempts to be up on the books my students are reading.

I was really happy with this book. The author does a great job of teaching. Nancy often uses big words, and then explains what they mean in a very direct way. She will have a sentence with a word like "trench coat" and then say: A trench coat is a long coat with buttons that spies often wear. Nancy Clancy also really loves writing. She talks about things she needs to do when she wants to write well, like use good descriptive words. I also love how Nancy talks about books she loves. She is a big fan of Nancy Drew, for example.

I also really liked the other characters in the book. Bree is a cool best friend (they have a rope between their houses where they send messages written in secret code in a bucket). Her little sister is cute and makes reasonable mistakes.  Mom is a good role model. Dad seems to have a great sense of humour. 

Goodreads summary: 

Nancy Clancy is growing up and ready for a whole new adventure . . . in her chapter book debut! 

Nancy and her best friend, Bree, have everything they need to solve a mystery, from their totally professional trench coats to their top-secret code. 

But when crime strikes in their classroom, will these super sleuths be able to crack the case?

Find out in the glamorous start to an all-new chapter book series featuring everyone’s favorite fancy girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment