Thursday, June 5, 2014

How I Discovered Poetry (Marilyn Nelson)

I'm not much of a poetry person, but this book somehow appealed to me. Each poem is vignette and a small look into Marilyn Nelson's life. I didn't know Marilyn Nelson at all prior to reading this book (did I mention I'm not much of a poetry person?). I chuckled at her comments about Lot and his wife and the flea and then her Mama swatting her leg while she giggled. I felt a little sad about when she brought up people's unkind words towards her and the troubles with racial tension in the states in the 50's. I felt her wonder when people thought she tried to do well in school to show off. And I felt proud of her teachers that encouraged her with writing.

A lovely book. Easy to read. Lots to think about.
I think it would be a great book for middle school or high school...even in Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment