Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Tuck Everlasting (Natalie Babbitt)



It's been a while since I've read this book. I still love it. I think I've read it more than two times - but it might have been before I started tracking on GoodReads. I read it again this year with my class...and I cried. This group has been an interesting group. Usually, my class tires of me reading it aloud and asks if they can read some of it on their own. These guys are perfectly happy to have me read and so I read the ENTIRE thing aloud. Maybe that's why it touched me a little more. I did my very best to read with good expression. LOL It's full of drama!

p 62 (chapter 12) Tuck to Winnie, on the pond in a fishing boat: ....Everything's a wheel, turning and turning, never stopping. The frog is part of it, and the bugs, and the fish, and the wood thrush, too. And people. But never the same ones. Always coming in new, always growing and changing, and always moving on. That's the way it's supposed to be. That's the way it is."

p 63: That's what us tuck are, Winnie. Stuck so's we can't move on. We ain't part of the wheel no more. Dropped off, Winnie. Left behind. And everywhere around us, things is moving and growing and changing. You, for instance. A child now, but someday a woman. And after that, moving on to make room for the new children."

"....dying's part of the wheel, right there next to being born. You can't pick out the pieces you like and leave the rest. Being part of teh whole thing, that's the blessing. But it's passing us by, us Tucks. Living's heavy work, but off to one side, the way we are, it's useless, too. It don't make sense. If I knows how to climb back on the wheel, I'd do it in a minute. You can't have living without dying. So you can't call it living, what we got. We just are, we just be, like rocks beside the road."

Goodreads says:

Doomed to - or blessed with - eternal life after drinking from a magic spring, the Tuck family wanders about trying to live as inconspicuously and comfortably as they can. When ten-year-old Winnie Foster stumbles on their secret, the Tucks take her home and explain why living forever at one age is less a blessing that it might seem. Complications arise when Winnie is followed by a stranger who wants to market the spring water for a fortune. 

No comments:

Post a Comment