Friday, December 22, 2017

Sleepover Sleuths (Carolyn Keene)

2136874

I wish I could go back and see myself when I was a Nancy Drew reader. Seems to me Nancy Drew books were quite sophisticated. This one was recommended by one of my students. I've been reading them some picture books that are mysteries and have told them I love mysteries so one student said I just had to read Nancy Drew. I love it when they give me books and say, "You have to read this!" She said some of them were too scary for her, but she did like this one.

When I started, a flood of memories came back as I realized the character names were the same. This one is modernized. The Nancy Drew I read was 16. This one is 8 years old. Now Nancy has a computer, uses instant messenger and has a cool doll from the City Dolls collection. Carolyn Keene's books were first published in 1930 though. Is this really by her?? Is she alive still? I did some googling (although, in my mind I was solving a mystery) and found out that Carolyn Keene isn't even a real person. There are a group of people who have written these books and the pseudonym they all use is Carolyn Keene.

Mystery solved. (I'm a little disappointed though)

Goodreads summary:

Eight-year-old Nancy Drew has her first case to crack! Can you help? Nancy and her two best friends, George and Bess, are so excited! They have been invited to Deirdre's sleepover party! There will be pizza, cake, and even a pajama fashion show. But the most exciting thing is that the party has a City Girls doll theme. All of the guests are bringing their dolls with them!

But then Deirdre's City Girls doll -- Hollywood Heather -- goes missing. Is her sleepover ruined? Or is there a detective in the room who can make sense of this mystery?

No comments:

Post a Comment