Friday, November 22, 2013

Lafcadio, The Lion Who Shot Back (Shel Silverstein)

Lafcadio, the Lion Who Shot Back

I love this story. I just read it aloud to my class this week. They were quite surprised with it at first. Shel Silverstein's conversational voice is easy to listen to. I think sometimes they weren't sure if it was me talking or if it was really what was written.

It's a quick read, and perfect for kids trying to move from picture books to chapter books. It's silly and funny and full of great illustrations. I love Shel Silverstein's style of black and white line drawings. They're simple, yet very effective.

Goodreads summary:

"You don't have to shoot me," says the young lion. "I will be your rug and I will lie in front of your fireplace and I won't move a muscle and you can sit on me and toast all the marshmallows you want. I love marshmallows."
But the hunter will not listen to reason, so what is there for a young lion to do? After eating up the hunter, Lafcadio takes the gun home and practices and practices until he becomes the world's greatest sharp-shooter.
Now dressed in starched collars and fancy suits, and enjoying all the marshmallows he wants, Lafcadio is pampered and admired wherever he goes. But is a famous, successful, and admired lion a happy lion? Or is he a lion at all?
Told and drawn with wit and gusto, Shel Silverstein's modern fable speaks not only to children but to us all.


No comments:

Post a Comment