Saturday, October 12, 2013

Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore (Robin Sloan)


I enjoyed the talk of a bookstore and lure to the mystery of books in this story. I kind of felt like I was an old fashioned geek peering into the techno lives of 20 something's who haven't quite found their place in life yet and are wandering from odd job to odd job.  I think it's a great story, but sadly, it is my guess that it likely won't stand the test of time because it won't take too long until the references to technology are outdated. But it's a good one for right now! In one part of the story the author totally got me with the comment, "and if you're amazed at all this techno trivia you're probably over 30"....or something like that. I laughed out loud when I read that.


Mostly, I was glad Google couldn't beat a book. That's how it should be.


I started having a feeling maybe there was more symbolism to this book than i was understanding so I began googling names: Penumbra, Griffo Gerritzson, etc., as well as quotes like:  I work at the opposite of Google.  I would love to ask the author if there is something behind all that.


I read that the book cover won an award for one of the best book covers. It is cool. Mine didn't glow in the dark though. Rip off.


Good quotes:


Re: e-Readers "I have one and I use it most nights. I always imagine the books staring and whispering, Traitor!” 


"Her home is the burrow of a bibliophile hobbit."


“Walking the stacks in a library, dragging your fingers across the spines -- it's hard not to feel the presence of sleeping spirits.” 

“He has the strangest expression on his face- the emotional equivalent of 404 PAGE NOT FOUND.”
 


“Neel takes a sharp breath and I know exactly what it means. It means: I have waited my whole life to walk through a secret passage built into a bookshelf.” 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment