Saturday, August 17, 2013

Banished: Surviving My Years in the Westbro Baptist Church (Lauren Drain)


I had that same guilty feeling reading this book that I get when I drive by and really crane my neck to check out a bad accident. This book is a sad tale of a twisted religion. The author is still recovering from growing up with a father who emotionally abused his daughter, a mother who never stands up to her husband, and a group of religious fanatics who allowed the to join their closed circle. I hope Lauren Drain can get the counselling she needs. The tie abused people have to their abusers is readily apparent in this story. It is quite fascinating. She ends up getting kicked out for questioning.

I find the clever ways the Westboro Baptist Church uses the law to spread hate and fear a sad reality of the US constitution. I hope their organization continues to have people question and leave.

Here is a video with her parents talking about banishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment