Saturday, July 6, 2013

Sunwing (Kenneth Oppel)

Sunwing (Silverwing, #2)


Earlier this year I read Silverwing with my Grade 3 Book Club. I was surprised at how good it was. I decided I wanted to read the rest of the books in the series. It's taken me a while to get at it, but I finally did: this past week I read Sunwing. It's equally as good as Silverwing. There are lots of good twists and gripping moments that keep you on your toes, and adds in a touch of romance (don't worry....not too much).

In this book Shade is trying to find his father, who he fears is dead. There are still a number of characters from the first book: Marina, his friend who he invites into his clan, the elders (who are actually female bats....love that!), Goth, the terrible giant jungle bat who eats other bats (is a bat who eats other bats a cannibal?), Shade's mother, Chinook, and more. The characters in this book are very memorable.

I keep telling my own kids that they should read these books, and they look at me like I'm crazy, "Mom. It's about bats. How weird is that?" I felt the same way when I heard about this series...but it's well worth the read! I actually ran into a picture book while I was marking PATs that was about bats, and I was surprised at how drawn I was to it. I have a real affinity for bats now!

On to the next one! Firewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment