Thursday, September 17, 2026

Ribsy (Beverly Cleary)


I read this to my class. I love this cover. There are many newer ones - but this is the cover I have in my classroom. I read it with hopes to get students reading more Beverly Clearly books. Some of the language is kind of old though....out of tough for kids these days. 

I have heard Kate DiCamillo talk about how she loves this book. Her mother read it aloud to her and they both laughed and laughed and laughed. I am a little disappointed though to realize The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane is the same idea.....lost animal/creature, interesting adventures with people who find him and take him in for a while. 

Ribsy gets separated from Henry at the shopping mall (I had a dog do that once! He ran right into the mall to find us). He has a violet-scented bubble bath with one family, and then a red, rhinestone collar courtesy of Mrs. Frawley. He becomes a second grade mascot only to be banned from school after chasing a squirrell (yup....I can imagine that one too!). He goes to and interferes in a football game. His picture is in the paper. Then when he's closest to getting home, he gets stuck on a fire escape. Many of my students agreed that our favorite chapter was "Ribsy Goes to a Football Game." Somehow, I can imagine a dog doing all these funny things.

Goodreads says:

Separated from his owner, Henry Huggins, in a shopping center parking lot, an ordinary city dog begins a string of bewildering adventures.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment