Sunday, May 22, 2022

Becoming Mrs Lewis (Patti Callahan)

 


 I loved this book. Joy is presented as a smart and courageous woman and someone I want to be like. She was willing to ask the questions that can make and unmake a life. She loved to write and think and discuss. She was born again one night when her husband did not come home and had threatened suicide. She shows that the search for truth and the search for love is worth the complicated path of changing our life. 

Another thing I love about their relationship is that she wasn't the woman behind the man. She was was CS Lewis' equal. They loved to discuss and question and reason together. She knew that the better the question the better the answer.

This book was inspiring and interesting for me.


Tidbits:

Why CS Lewis was called Jack: When I was a young boy we had a dog named Jackie. On a warm summer day, when the world was good and right, Warnie and I were walking to town when a car came roaring around the bend and hit our dog. Killed him right there in front of us." Jack shook his head. "If I could make a request of God it would be that no young boy ever see his beloved dog killed." He shuddered then continued. "Therefore I announced my name Jack and vowed never to drive a car."

TOUGH QUESTIONS

pp. 43-44 "I think Lewis would tell you to follow Christ, not him," Chad said with a sly smile.
"Ah, but can't I follow both?" I paused before finding what I meant to say. "I'm not as traditional as Jack is, but then again, he's not as traditional as others believe him to be." I let the next words settle on my tongue before I spoke them. "I wish  could visit him as you did. I can almost feel the cool green English world. The quiet. The libraries and cathedrals hushed with sublime beauty.
Chad clasped his hands together and tented his fingers under his chin, nodded. "It was profound, I'll give you that. Maybe there will come a day when you can do the same."
"It's easier for men," I said. "It's not fair, but it's true. Wives and mothers can't just up and go to England to research and write and interview. You can go for two months and study, leave your four children with your wife, but there's some invisible and unstated law that I can't do the same."
Chad's gentle smile told me he understood. "Maybe one day Joy. Maybe one day."
"Jesus tells us not to worry about tomorrow. Do we believe him?"
"Whatever do you mean?" Chad rubbed the bridge of his nose as if his glasses were too heavy.
"What if," I said and leaned closer, my voice lowering. "What if I trust that command? What on earth would become of me if I should ever grow brave?"
Chad nodded his head. "Indeed, Joy. What would become of any of us if we were to become to brave as to believe his words?"

p. 67 I had a feeling of such lightness and gaiety that the malaise I'd been carrying for years fell off like shed skin. I wouldn't have been surprised if someone had chased me down and bellowed, "You dropped something back there."
I had left my family in America, and I knew there were neighbors and friends who didn't understand. Our church community scowled. Other women talked about me. And yet must not their should die inside? Did they not feel the anxiety that comes when the inner light rises and cries out, "Let me life"?
Perhaps our Maker had stitched us each together in such a way that this was not true of all women.

MEMORY MOMENT


AGAIN AND AGAIN


CONTRASTS AND CONTRADICTIONS

p. 49 Hopelessness was my companion and fantasy my escape.

WORDS OF THE WISER

p. 82 I believe life is more like a tree. Each branch differentiating as it grows. Each an individual choice.

AH HA MOMENT

No comments:

Post a Comment