Tuesday, February 22, 2022

Kaleidoscope (Brian Selznick)

 




Brian Selznick is one of my favorite authors. This one just didn't do it for me. It was just too weird. Too random. I tried hard to find connections....but I just didn't get it. He wrote it during the pandemic and perhaps it is a little like all of our pandemic experiences...common threads with many different turns of the kaleidoscope. However, I'm not sure what this book is supposed to do. We read it for our Children's Lit book club and I went with hopes that those smarter than me at finding the meaning would bring some great revelation about the book. Alas, we all kind of felt the same about it. Breaks my heart, but I can't really recommend this one. The illustrations are beautiful though!


Goodreads says:

A ship. A garden. A library. A key. In Kaleidoscope, the incomparable Brian Selznick presents the story of two people bound to each other through time and space, memory and dreams. At the center of their relationship is a mystery about the nature of grief and love which will look different to each reader

No comments:

Post a Comment