Monday, September 21, 2020

Fourth Grade Rats (Jerry Spinelli)

 

We read 3rd Grade Angels and decided to continue on to 4th Grade rats. I'm not so sure it was a good idea though. My students were a little disturbed by the bad behavior of kids in this story. That's probably a good thing. I even had a student who decided to try some of the rat strategies in this book: ignore things adults tell you to do (or not do), never apologize and break the rules whenever you can. I think I'll save myself from that headache in the future. Of course, I'm not sure there's another student that will ever be quite like the student who decided to act out just like the 4th grade rats.


I have enjoyed many Jerry Spinelli books. Not this one though.


Goodreads says:


A fast, fun, friendship read from the Newbery-award winning author of Maniac Magee.

Fourth graders are tough. They aren't afraid of spiders. They say no to their moms. They push first graders off the swings. And they never, ever cry.
Suds knows that now that he's in fourth grade, he's supposed to be a rat. But whenever he tries to act like one, something goes wrong. Can Suds's friend Joey teach him to toughen up...or will Suds remain a fourth grade wimp?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment