Wednesday, August 14, 2019

The Wild Robot (Peter Brown)

Wow! I couldn't stop reading when I started The Wild Robot. It's a beautiful and compelling story. I have book two on audio book waiting for me from the public library so I plan to jump into it right away. I have to know what happens to Roz.

I think it would make a great One School One Book selection. It is a simple story for young kids and has enough complex issues for discussion.

Peter Brown is the author of many picture books that we have read and loved:
Creepy Carrots!
Children Make Terrible Pets
Mr. Tiger Goes Wild
My Teacher is a Monster (No I'm Not!)

February 3, 2021: Read this aloud to my class. They were totally captivated by the story. I was a little worried that the violence at the end of the story when the Ricoh robots come to take Roz back would be too much - but they actually seemed to totally love it. This story really kept them on the edge of their seat.

May 6, 2022: Read aloud was a huge success. Students want me to read book 2 but we are going to use it in our literature circle/in-class book clubs.

Notice and Note Signposts

Tough Question? Ah ha Moment? Contrast and Contradiction?
p. 118 It was the first ship either of them had ever laid eyes on. From that distance, it looked as though it were moving slowly, but it was actually racing through the waves. From the distance, it looked as though it were small, but it was actually one of the largest ships ever built. The robot and the gosling watched it drawl across the ocean until it finally disappeared to the south.
Where had the ship come from? Where was it going? Who was on board? Roz and Brightbill had many questions but no answers.

Contrast and Contradiction
What does it mean to be alive?
p. 125 "What do you mean, you're not alive?" squawked Brightbill.
"It's true," said Roz. "I am not an animal. I do not eat or breathe. I am not alive."
"You move and talk and think, Mama. You're definitely alive."

Roz and the animals versus the Recos
Chapters 70-75

Memory Moment
Chapter 63 The Journey: Brightbill tells Roz about his migration experiences. Lots of foreshadowing!

October 29, 2022: Read it as a read-aloud again. It was a hit once again. I decided I will not read the second book aloud and instead will encourage students to read it on their own. 
Interestingly, this year a lot of kids had a hard time with the pronouns for Roz. Even though she was a mother. Even though the book clearly talks about the character as a she, they often referred to Roz initially as he. This video made me think maybe children are starting to break the barriers of gender stereotypes?

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMFSsN8S7/ 

Goodreads says:

When robot Roz opens her eyes for the first time, she discovers that she is alone on a remote, wild island. Why is she there? Where did she come from? And, most important, how will she survive in her harsh surroundings? Roz's only hope is to learn from the island's hostile animal inhabitants. When she tries to care for an orphaned gosling, the other animals finally decide to help, and the island starts to feel like home. Until one day, the robot's mysterious past comes back to haunt her.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment