Saturday, January 26, 2019

Morris Micklewhite and the Tangerine Dress

I think this book is beautiful and I love the idea of being okay with being more open with gender roles, but I'm too chicken to read it to my class. I feel quite strongly about this  topic but I don't have enough confidence in that arena to open that can of worms right now in my classroom. I'm proud of the mom in this book though for letting him be creative.

Goodreads says:

Morris has a great imagination. He paints amazing pictures and he loves his classroom's dress-up center, especially the tangerine dress. It reminds him of tigers, the sun and his mother's hair.

The other children don't understand--dresses, they say, are for girls. And Morris certainly isn't welcome in the spaceship his classmates are building--astronauts, they say, don't wear dresses.

One day Morris has a tummy ache, and his mother lets him stay home from school. He stays in bed reading about elephants, and her dreams about a space adventure with his cat, Moo. Inspired by his dream, Morris paints a fantastic picture, and everything begins to change when he takes it to school.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment