Monday, May 27, 2013

The Checklist Manifesto (Atul Gawande)

The Checklist Manifesto: How to Get Things Right

This book proves you can write a book a out anything! Perhaps I am too cynical.

I listened to this on CD. It seemed to take forever, and as I was listening I felt like it could have been way shorter! But something about it compelled me to continue listening and in the end I was really glad I did. Mostly, I think because it justifies my addiction to lists! There's nothing like checking stuff off a list. Sometimes I add things to the list that I have done just so I can check them off.

But that's not really the kind of lists he's talking about.

The author's theory is all success in business can be increased by adding check lists. He has numerous examples in the field of medicine, in construction and in aviation. I'm curious to see how I can implement this idea in teaching. I actually have started some small check lists of things to do each morning and each day after school. I find it helps me be more productive and gets the things that are routine, but important, done quickly and done well.

I went to a workshop on attention where the speaker referred to this book (I still can't figure out how it related to her presentation though). I'm glad I wrote the title down. It's definitely a worthwhile read (or listen, as in my case!)

No comments:

Post a Comment