Saturday, November 3, 2012

Loser (Jerry Spinelli)


When I finished this book I was on a city transit bus. It didn't seem like a good place to throw a book as far as I could toss it. Anyplace else, I probably would have.

I was nagged into reading this book. I kept coming across it. I got a copy from a collection of books I ordered from Scholastic for gifts for my students. I put it aside. Who could I give that book to? I try to give books to kids that I think fit them. "Here. You're a loser. You'll like this." Serious? I got one from Scholastic as a free gift. I found another copy in my classroom. Serious? What was with that?? I only read it because it kept crossing my path - kind of poking me again and again.

"Okay! Fine! I'll read it!"

I was a little bit curious and hopeful. I have always liked the books I've read by Jerry Spinelli. In chapter 1 the reader is introduced to Zinkoff. He's the kid no one pays attention to. He's the kid that is socially awkward. He's the kid who doesn't have a best friend (or any friends?) Even though he is a loner, he is the kid who is just always happy and eager - maybe a little too eager.

At the start of the book he is starting Grade 1 and we continue with him through to the end of Grade 6. Things never change.

I felt uncomfortable with the blatant talk/writing about what a loser he was. I kept reading almost out of responsibility - someone has to keep an eye on this kid and keep him safe. I read, however, with one eye open, wincing, hoping things would change for Zinkoff. I hoped he'd find a friend. I hoped things would turn around and he'd become a hero. I hoped the people around him would see the good in him. They never did. And really, those cool kids were the biggest jerks! They were insecure and just plain terrible. I hated them. Zinkoff was always just "a loser". It never changed.

That's why I wanted to throw it at the end.

What was the point, Mr. Spinelli??

That was a painful read.

No comments:

Post a Comment